Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Envy - A Capital Sin

There were, in my 5th grade class at Cleveland's St. Vincent DePaul Grade School, the brothers Lembach. Twins Robert and Richard were the kind of guys who could crayon colorfully and masterfully. Girls could always crayon and stay within the lines. Boys couldn't. The twins were the exception. Their work was always posted in the classroom for all to admire....except me. I was envious of their talent.

At the end of our school year, everyone whose work was posted, the brothers included, had the option of taking their art home or leaving it for someone else to dispose of. That someone else was me.

I snagged what I judged to be the best of the Lembachs' work. He had written his name in the upper left-hand corner. It was a simple matter of fixing - I just tore it off and took it home to proudly show off my work. Dad took one look at the torn corner and said, "What was here? Somebody else's name?"

I was only reminded of this story when I learned of my three year old grandson's talent. Liam, can crayon within the lines.

You'd think at my age it wouldn't bother me. I'm jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment